Exposure Of CO Toxic Fumes In Your Residence Complaints

In: Health and Fitness

7 Nov 2010

All appliances that burn fuel have inherent risk of inadvertently leaking toxic carbon monoxide fumes. Carbon monoxide is a deadly by-product caused when fuels do not burn completely due to lack of oxygen or enough heat. Exposure to can carbon monoxide can quickly lead to death as it clings to the bloodstream and blocks oxygen from reaching the vital organs of the body. Prolonged exposure will lead to organ failure that can be fatal without immediate medical attention.

All household devices that burn fuel can become a source of this toxic gas. Most homes have inadequate ventilation due to our continuous quest for energy efficiency. Carbon monoxide leaks in such homes can result in accumulation of the deadly gas and the result can be fatal. Automobiles, gas stoves and driers, gas fueled furnaces, fireplaces and wood stoves are just some of the household devices that can produce this deadly fume.

All homes will have at least one, it not several, of these carbon monoxide producing devices. You should know how to defend yourself and your family against carbon monoxide poisoning and how to minimize the damage to someone already affected.

Carbon monoxide can induce sleep and most of its victims die when exposed during the night while sleeping. Most of the victims are not even aware that they have malfunctioning appliances. Even a small amount of carbon monoxide when breathed can cause nausea, drowsiness, tiredness, and flue like symptoms. Fetuses, young children and the elderly are more susceptible to the ill effects of carbon monoxide poisoning.

If you are experiencing any of the above warning symptoms, be sure that repair works is immediately performed by someone that is professionally trained to do so. When you notice any of the appliances that have a potential to produce carbon monoxide is not working, you should shut it down immediately and have a qualified technician inspect it.

They can make sure that your device will be fitted according to safety standards, and also provide you with the needed technical support, service and repair the device as needed. These appliances must be serviced regularly to prevent clogging that when left uncorrected can cause build up and leakage of carbon monoxide.

When you experience any of these warning signs, you should consult a professional to pinpoint the source of the leak and have it corrected in a safe way. Badly fitted appliances are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning and have killed a large number of people worldwide. Some people have the mistaken idea that hey can install air conditioning and heaters themselves even when they do not have the proper knowledge to do so. All appliances, especially those that burn fuel must be fitted by a professional to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Installing a gas detector can provide added protection against carbon monoxide leaks. There are various models of this device on the market including those that combine a smoke detector in the gas detecting device. Pick one that has the capability to detect most of the various gas hazards possible. Your gas detector should have a reasonable battery life and must provide a noticeable warning sign when you need to change the power source.

Comment Form

About Me

Feel free to read, comment, and subscribe however you like.

Photostream